[BKARTS] AFTERMATH at Landmarks Contemporary Projects (Philadelphia)

A little self-promotion:

AFTERMATH
An installation by Michelle Wilson

November 2-November 25, 2007
Opening reception First Friday November 2, 5pm-9pm
  Powel House Museum
 244 S. 3rd Street
  Philadelphia, PA
 215.627.0364

  What if the liberty we believe we know is only a shadow of true freedom?

 Landmarks Contemporary Projects is pleased to present Aftermath, an important new project by artist Michelle Wilson. Aftermath will be on view from November  2-25, 2007 at the Powel House Museum, 244 South 3rd Street in Philadelphia. A free public reception with the artist will be held at the museum on Friday, November 2nd, from 6-9pm.   Behind the scenes of modern American comfort is a complex web of influence and deferred responsibility. Aftermath is a multi-media installation in which Wilson challenges viewers to consider the unseen consequences of the choices we make as a society, as well as the choices made for us by our government.
  Inspired by the ideas of Plato's Cave, as well as alchemical theories of fire as a purifier, Wilson tries to find a way to see clearly in a world confounded by mass misinformation and misdirection. Aftermath exposes the ashes we have collectively brushed under the rug. Do you burn what you fear, or what you hate? Or are they the same thing?
  Artist Michelle Wilson recently lived in the Powel House Museum for two years as Site Manager/Caretaker. Aftermath is heavily informed by her time in this historically significant site, which gave her a strong appreciation of the relationship between social responsibility and the ideals of our Founding Fathers. While living at the Powel House, the environment of historical interpretation challenged Wilson to view contemporary society with new eyes. The Iraq war, the degradation of the environment, imprisonment without trial, genocide in the Sudan--she couldn't help but wonder how we arrived in this situation as a nation. Through prints, installation, projections and sound, Wilson will attempt to break through this mask of comfort. The Powel House--as a center of the political and social milieu surrounding the birth of our Constitution--is an ideal, if poignant site for this experiment. The Powel House represents the best of our Revolutionary past and philosophy. It is a
 contextualizing environment for the idea that we live in a time where there is much debate about some of the political and philosophical ideals put forth in the Constitution: from wiretapping, to detention without access to lawyers, to freedom of speech.
  For more information about Landmarks Contemporary Projects, please visit www.philalandmarks.org

Member Artist of www.inliquid.com

http://mail.yahoo.com