Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 20:50:22 -0500
From: Kyle Schlesinger <kyle@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Johanna Drucker: School of Visual Arts: Tuesday, December 11, 7pm

Kyle,

Please circulate this, if you would. Hope to see you.

Thanks,

Johanna

Art Theory Now: from Aesthetics to Aesthesis

Johanna Drucker

School of Visual Arts: Tuesday, December 11, 7pm

Amphitheater
209 East 23rd Street, 3rd floor, free and open to the public
If the job of art criticism is interpretation, the task of art theory =20
is to offer foundational principles for understanding the identity and =20
cultural function of works of art. But what aesthetic theory =20
accommodates Damien Hirst?s In the Name of God, Phil Collins? The =20
World Won?t Listen, Jennifer Steinkamp?s digital video works, the =20
books of Dean Dass, or Robert Longo?s drawings of deep space or atomic =20
blasts? How do we formulate aesthetic theory after Adorno? This =20
lecture outlines a shift from aesthetics as the study of objects to =20
aesthesis as a mode of experience and knowledge, and draws on ideas =20
sketched in the author's recent article, "Making Space: Image-Events =20
in an Extreme State," published in Cultural Politics.

Johanna Drucker is Robertson Professor of Media Studies at the =20
University of Virginia and the author of Sweet Dreams: Contemporary =20
Art and Complicity (University of Chicago, 2006) and The Century of =20
Artists' Books (Granary, 2004). Presented by the MFA Art Criticism and =20
Writing Department.