Re: [BKARTS] Sandpaper vs. blotting paper

And there are two Situationist books with sandpaper covers:
Mémoires. Structures portantes (lithographed in colour) d'Asger Jorn. (Guy Debord)
and An Endless Adventure...an Endless Passion...an Endless Banquet: A Situationist Scrapbook
edited by Blazwick, Iwona

with this explanation about Memoires from Vector e-zine by Christian Nolle:

The book is most famous for its sandpaper cover. An auto-destruction feature that enabled it to damage not only the book it might be standing next to in the bookshelf, but also the person who would be reading it. An anti-book to destroy all other books. Permild writes:

Long had he [Jorn] asked me, if I couldn't find a unconventional material for the book cover. Preferably some sticky asphalt or perhaps glass wool. Kiddingly, he wanted, that by looking at people, you should be able to tell whether or not they had had the book in their hands. He acquiesced by my [Permild's] final suggestion: sandpaper (flint) nr. 2: 'Fine. Can you imagine the result when the book lies on a blank polished mahogany table, or when its inserted or taken out of the bookshelf...'

-Rosalie

Shireen Holman wrote:
Printmakers do use sandpaper, but not for printing on (that I know of). I like to get my woodblocks nice and smooth before I start carving.

Shireen