Re: [BKARTS] Sandpaper vs. blotting paper

I was just at a Monothon (85 artists making prints over two and a half days for a non-profit fundraiser) and some artists were indeed printing with sandpaper.

They inked heavy grit sheets with a brayer, picking up only the peaks, and ran it through the etching press. It created an all-over color and texture that was interesting when layered with other imagery. I've also heard people talk about using finer grit silicon sandpaper for relief printing on a vandercook (mounted type high). I think Joe Fedderson has used this quite a bit in his prints.

all the best,
Roberta

Roberta Lavadour - Pendleton, OR
Mission Creek Press - Desultory Press