[BKARTS] history of edge gilding

Hi all,

I had been under the impression that page edge gilding was not practiced in
the West until the 1400s, yet I stumbled across an image from a German
illuminated manuscript dated 1045-1046 that clearly shows a book with gilded
(and perhaps gauffered) edges. The illumination has some Byzantine
influences; does anyone know if edge gilding was practiced in Byzantium or
parts further east in that time frame?

Many thanks for your help!

Best wishes,
Aneira