Re: [BKARTS] Drop-sided box

hi..
will you take the sculpture out of the box completely or are the box sides that drop down, somehow part of the piece?
victoria

On Nov 25, 2007, at 3:00 PM, Linda M. Cunningham wrote:

Kathleen Garness <kmgfinearts@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

can you say more about what you need the box to look like and do?

Dimensions will be approx. 4" on each side (i.e. a cube), and I'd like to have all four sides drop down when I remove the lid to reveal a small sculpture mounted in the centre.

Obviously, I will need to slightly overlap the sides so that they don't collapse into the sculpture, or build a small rim up inside the lid to hold the sides in place. Or?

I've built a couple of rough models: one has a lipped base and a lid that will totally enclose the sides, and a second has a 2/3 height slipcover to enclose the drop-sided box with sides mounted on the outside of the base and a lid on top for security.

As I see it, the advantage of #1 is that it keeps the construction to two pieces, and the sides of the lid as one single piece that covers full-height: the disadvantage is that, with thte lipped base, the sides aren't laying flat after they drop.

With #2, I can take the lid off, and then remove the slipcover, which will certainly be easier to display the contents. I'm not as keen about having so many pieces: things can get lost and it will need operating instructions to display. :-)

While I like the simplicity of #1, I like the security of #2.

I've seen the PDF on make a drop-spine case where the book pops up, but that's not exactly what I need.

Does that help?

Cheers
Linda