Re: [BKARTS] A caution to press buyers

Yes, I have the feeling, too. I make presses and find the one shown worse than laughable. Even my light duty ones were very much stouter than that.

Russ
woodandmetalcraft.com

On Nov 28, 2007, at 8:45 PM, J. J. Foncannon wrote:

Thanks for the warning.
I have questions, though. Just from looking at the photo on the Beech Hill Artisans site, it seems
to me none of the presses featured could work. Too frail. Anyone else have this feeling?
Anoter things: this organization apparently sells things on EBAY. One thing EBAY is good about is
in correcting and airing the shabby dealings of any of its sellers. It would be interesting to see
how it Beech Hill scores in the EBAY ratings.
I purchased an old fashioned heavy metal bookpress on EBAY. It arrived in perfect condition, and
has become one of my most valuable assets in the art of bookbinding. My compliments to the seller.
Of course, it is about as heavy as a tank, but I can't imagine an effective bookpress that isn't
really heavy. Seems to go with the territory.

MelissaJay Craig wrote:

I feel I need to warn the book arts community about a bad experience I had purchasing a wooden press from a mail-order company in Maine called Beech Hill Artisans.

I bought a press for papermaking, but they also make
two bookbinding presses (as well as presses for fruit)
and sell them via their web site and on eBay.

You can find a link to my warning, with photo
documentation, on my home page at:
http://web.mac.com/melissajaycraig

Because of the link, I was recently contacted by two
other people who had similar experiences with this
company, and I decided to speak up. The presses look
like feasible low-cost equipment online, and their
website contains numerous favorable testimonials, but
at least three people have gotten extremely defective
equipment, and have been refused refunds. So: beware.

Melissa

Melissa Jay Craig

http://web.mac.com/melissajaycraig

Censorship is a juggernaut that cannot be fine-tuned

Jet Foncannon
4516 Locust Street
Philadelphia, PA     19139