Re: [BKARTS] A caution to press buyers

On Nov 29, 2007, at 1:15 AM, MelissaJay Craig wrote:

I should have clarified: I thought the press would be feasible for light, occasional duty. I wanted
something portable, to take with me on residencies, for light pressing of freshly made papers I would then
sculpt with............

Melissa,
Have you tried the Vacme Press by Nicky Yaeger at Artifex Equipment ----- artifex@xxxxxxxxxxxx ---- www.artifexequipment.com/ prices.html. The system uses a vinyl bag with a small, portable vacuum pump that will provide sufficient atmospheric pressure for most book work. A similar device is used by woodworkers for pressing veneer. The Vacme Press was developed for pressing book boxes, and should easily work for pressing paper.
When I first learned about the portability of this unit, I suggested that Nicky take a picture with a cast iron press on his motorcycle, and then another with his Vacme Press. His press is truly portable.

Good Luck,
Bill

4364 Woodbury Pike
Woodbury, PA  16695