[BKARTS] Flattening paper

Most of the times rolled paper can be flattened very easily by putting it on a flat surface (the floor works well for large pieces) and then putting a flat weight on top, ---like a drawing board (plus a few books, if you want) or a sink hole or an upside-down card table. Usually papers will flatten overnight without the need to dampen them.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Kathleen Garness" <kmgfinearts@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, November 29, 2007 9:37 AM
Subject: Re: Building your own press...

Thanks so much, Jackie! I am making some 'gratitude journals' for the holidays and this will help a lot! A friend, who is joining me for some of this, is bringing her own paper but it has been rolled up for some time and I think we're going to need a press to flatten the pages out.

I was also trying to puzzle over the best way to flatten the paper - it's drawing paper of some kind, I believe, that her son picked up in Florence during his studies there - before we cut it and sew up the signatures. Would you recommend cutting a bit over the size we want the pages to be, lightly misting them both sides, like I do to watercolor sometimes to flatten it, and either stretching them (like one would do with watercolor paper) with paper tape on a board or just putting them between sheets of acid-free blotter paper in a press?

Thanks; this has not come up for me before!

Kathy