[BKARTS] In the beginning...

Hello all!

I apologize if this is not the appropriate forum for my question, but I
thought I could pick a few of your brains. I have been teaching myself
bookbinding from books and the internet for a few years now, and will be
starting some evening courses in binding this winter. My hope is to
eventually apprentice or start equivalent full-time training. Any advice on
this? How and when does one usually begin an apprenticeship? Would one be
expected to have formal training before becoming an apprentice?

Thank you for any guidance you can give!

Sincerely,
April