Re: [BKARTS] In the beginning...

April:

Good luck. depending on where you are, you may find entry level employment with a bindery somewhere. I would not suggest a large trade bindery but a smaller firm that does some repair and perhaps "library binding" as they are the most versatile of all. Library binders work with all types of paper (assorted periodicals) and various hurt books (text books and monographs) in a production mode. You will learn many things from them that will apply to hand binding.

By all means, take every class you can find or afford. Each instructor will have their own teaching methods and ideas. Some much better than others but you will make many like minded friends in your classes.

I am not aware of any "formal" apprentice ship programs in the U.S. but there are a number of schools that you could attend. Please feel free to write or phone if you wish to discuss this further.

Best regards & happy new year.

Gregor Campbell
Campbell-Logan Bindery, Inc.
212 Second St. N.
Minneapolis, MN 55401
800-942-6224
<http://campbell-logan.com>

Hello all!

I apologize if this is not the appropriate forum for my question, but I
thought I could pick a few of your brains. I have been teaching myself
bookbinding from books and the internet for a few years now, and will be
starting some evening courses in binding this winter. My hope is to
eventually apprentice or start equivalent full-time training. Any advice on
this? How and when does one usually begin an apprenticeship? Would one be
expected to have formal training before becoming an apprentice?

Thank you for any guidance you can give!

Sincerely,
April