Re: [BKARTS] craft standards, poor books

There are many POVs of course on this, but Kate's comment reminds me of my days at the Art Institute where the critiques were unnecessarily blisteringly cruel and unhelpful. I remember young artists in tears after such daily sessions. An abuse of power on the part of the instructor and the fellow students was my considered opinion. Of course there were those who would say 'if you can't stand the heat stay out of the kitchen' but I felt that everyone there paid their tuition and so had an equal right to respect and understanding of their approach. What was also interesting was that the instructors would say "don't copy/imitate what I do but if you didn't you'd flunk the class... : / We quickly learned to articulate our reasons why we took a particular approach and also developed rhinoceros hide... A friend who studied at the neighboring campus of the University of Illinois experienced pretty much the same thing.

Having standards with examples and discussion about them is important. When that doesn't happen, isn't that a disservice to the student?

Kathy G