Re: [BKARTS] craft standards, poor books

. . .So -- does anyone know who has written about this? I mean when is a thing
'rough-hewn' and not just bad workmanship. The solitary source I can cite is
David Pye, The Nature and Art of Workmanship (Cambridge University Press, 1968)
in which he distinguishes the workmanship of risk from the workmanship of
certainty. And some very remote material such as de Kooning's struggle to paint
Woman 1 and how we've never felt quite comfortable with it.

Charles
ocotilloarts.com

The book cited below is about ceramics, but the concepts are transferable and may be of interest:

The Unknown Craftsman: A Japanese Insight into Beauty by Soetsu Yanagi, et al

This is the veritable "bible" for Mingei influenced potters everywhere. In this book Yanagi's outlines the importance of "art for the people, by the people" and provides examples from Japanese, Chinese and Korean folk culture. Further defined are Yanagi's concepts of beauty, craftsmanship, anti-bourgeois art and the contributions to egoless, anonymous craftsperson. As an antithetical to much of what was established in American Art during the two decades, this text is must for anyone creating pottery influenced by the Eastern folk functional tradition or otherwise seeking "truth" to the materials in artmaking.

Nancy