From: Kathleen Garness <kmgfinearts@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Tuesday, January 1, 2008 10:52:32 AM
Subject: Re: [BKARTS] craft standards, poor books

There are many POVs of course on this, but Kate's comment reminds me
of my days at the Art Institute where the critiques were
unnecessarily blisteringly cruel and unhelpful. I remember young
artists in tears after such daily sessions. An abuse of power on the
part of the instructor and the fellow students was my considered
opinion. Of course there were those who would say 'if you can't stand
the heat stay out of the kitchen' but I felt that everyone there paid
their tuition and so had an equal right to respect and understanding
of their approach. What was also interesting was that the instructors
would say "don't copy/imitate what I do but if you didn't you'd flunk
the class... : / We quickly learned to articulate our reasons why we
took a particular approach and also developed rhinoceros hide... A
friend who studied at the neighboring campus of the University of
Illinois experienced pretty much the same thing.

Having standards with examples and discussion about them is
important. When that doesn't happen, isn't that a disservice to the
student?

Kathy G

On Jan 1, 2008, at 5:40 AM, Kate Hanson wrote:

> Sort of reminds me of my studio mate's first critique as an MFA
> candidate.
> The professor came in, looked at her drawing and asked, "Did you
> draw that
> badly on purpose?"

Every Day Is a New Beginning

   "The friendships we develop determine the quality of our own
souls"  Joan Chittister, OSB