Re: [BKARTS] craft standards, poor books

This is a very interesting topic. I'm still thinking it through, and this
may not directly address your question, but my sense is that rather than
setting out to make a "rustic" book, it might be more interesting and
productive to spend some time on the process, rather than the
result, playing with materials and forms to see where they take you, without
feeling any responsibility to make something others will approve of (or
necessarily even see).

 As people on the list have mentioned, teachers and others can sometimes
impose critical judgements that can in turn  cause us to restrict or limit
ourselves, for fear that others might not "get" what we are trying to do.
Particularly when I'm going in a new direction with my bookmaking, I've
found that giving myself some time to play with materials, to be free to
make something completely ridiculous, can take me in some wonderful
directions (sort of the workmanship of risk versus the workmanship of
certainty). I think that giving yourself permission to make something
"bad" can also help give you a clearer sense for yourself what the
difference is between something that is beautifully imperfect and something
that is just badly made.

I've found reading books on Buddhism in general to be helpful in learning to
let go a bit.   The Unknown Craftsman: A Japanese Insight into Beauty sounds
really interesting. Might have to buy that one...

Barbara