Re: [BKARTS] craft standards, poor books

hi--
i'm a new member...haven't actually posted much yet though.
just some thoughts on the subject of "rustic", "naive", or "innocent" art.
i'm thinking that design/composition is either well done or not.. choices of materials and the way it is put together (craft) needs to be skillfully done to create a "well made book" or to begin any art. this hopefully is the basis or point of departure of an "artists' book". the next step -- whether you use leather, paper, metals, wood or car tires and/or any other idiosyncratic materials is, again, how it's put together + your intent. you can create pages that are manipulated by folding or by sewing other materials together or even welded together these are some of the elements that will define whether it appears chaotic, rustic, elegant or traditional the artist needs to bring their sensibility to that particular book and go with their ideas and what the materials dictate to create a unified book. while the art/craft of book binding has a rich history, the book form has found a new "life" as "artists' books". many ideas adopted by artists and used in their art...is received by purists as bastardizing something sacred while it should be embraced as a new approach to an old idea.
i know i started with a very traditional background in binding books and have adopted those basic, traditional ideas, and brought them to a different level by challenging the boundaries of the form. with the use of materials such as copper,brass, steel and fiberglass with paper i've been able to create very unified "books" as well as making a piece of art. it may help to think of it as a journey -- the idea of "book" takes an artist + their sensibility + his/her level of expertise + their intent.
so to master what it is you call rustic...you need to work with materials you know and understand and be open to the limitations a material has, as well as challenge these limitations or your idea and be open to solve another problem to make the piece work -- you have to give something up to get something.
just another point of view...

best of luck,
victoria kniering
pleiades press