Re: [BKARTS] craft standards, poor books

Thanks for this tip. I'm not the potter of the family here, but through the person who is I was exposed to the aesthetic of Leach and Cardew in the heyday of functional pottery and a summation of that would be good to have outside the question on the table.
Charles

----- Original Message ----
From: Nancy Nitzberg <nannitzberg@xxxxxxx>
To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Tuesday, January 1, 2008 10:52:48 AM
Subject: Re: [BKARTS] craft standards, poor books

.. . .So -- does anyone know who has written about this? I mean when is
 a thing
'rough-hewn' and not just bad workmanship. The solitary source I can
 cite is
David Pye, The Nature and Art of Workmanship (Cambridge University
 Press, 1968)
in which he distinguishes the workmanship of risk from the workmanship
 of
certainty. And some very remote material such as de Kooning's struggle
 to paint
Woman 1 and how we've never felt quite comfortable with it.

Charles
ocotilloarts.com

The book cited below is about ceramics, but the concepts are
 transferable and may be of interest:

The Unknown Craftsman: A Japanese Insight into Beauty by Soetsu
 Yanagi, et al

This is the veritable "bible" for Mingei influenced potters everywhere.
 In this book Yanagi's outlines the importance of "art for the people,
 by the people" and provides examples from Japanese, Chinese and Korean
 folk culture. Further defined are Yanagi's concepts of beauty,
 craftsmanship, anti-bourgeois art and the contributions to egoless, anonymous
 craftsperson. As an antithetical to much of what was established in
 American Art during the two decades, this text is must for anyone creating
 pottery influenced by the Eastern folk functional tradition or
 otherwise seeking "truth" to the materials in artmaking.

Nancy