Re: [BKARTS] Basic Book Repair Supplies

If there was only room for one in a collection of such, is there one you'd recommend over the others?

Thanks,

Kathy

On Jan 2, 2008, at 12:04 PM, Kim Avagliano wrote:

I teach very basic book repair techniques to library staff for use on contemporary circulating collections, and there are a few books that I recommend to them as references. These provide step-by-step instruction for simple repairs as well as descriptions of materials and tools needed.

Abraham Schecter.  Basic Book Repair Methods
Kenneth Lavender.  Book Repair: A How-to-do-it Manual for Librarians
Jane Greenfield.  Books: Their Care and Repair
Hedi Kyle. Library Materials Preservation Manual

I hope this is helpful to you,

Kim A.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Donna Mc R" <donna316@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, January 01, 2008 3:21 PM
Subject: [BKARTS] Basic Book Repair Supplies

Hello---

I have searched the list archives but have not found an answer to this
question:

What basic supplies should I assemble for simple book repair? This would be
for contemporary nonfiction in the under $30 range. I have passed by many
of these that I now know could have been repaired. I have vintage books
that need attention, but want to get some skills first.

There are some great websites with instructions, but are there books on the
basic topic that you can recommend?

Many thanks-----

Donna

Every Day Is a New Beginning