Re: [BKARTS] craft standards, poor books

I have to agree (and disagree) a bit with Richard.

I don't consider the "first draft" to be "ART", capital letters, quotes, etc. It is part of a process, however, much like the artist's sketchbook has always been. Rarely do those rough pages of the sketch book rise to ART, but they are definitely part of the process of it. The concept may be art (or artful), but the road to realization will probably be littered with a a lot of non-ART.

Sometimes these preliminary jottings are as interesting as the artwork they lead to, since they document the pathways the artist followed. I've seen several exhibitions of' sketchbooks, some of them also including work that grew from the page doodlings. Those exhibitions were memorable ones. Often the artists were pretty much local and unknown; I suppose family had preserved the sketch books, or they had some local historical interest. Only two of the shows exhibited work from "real" artists.

The "first draft" isn't a waste of time, it's a necessary step along the way to realizing the finished work. Often, however, it gets trashed, shredded, or used to start the kitchen fire, once the work itself is completed. Very few artists will reach a point where their work will be interesting enough to find a place in an historical or research collection.

The achievement of Craftsmanship is a long and slow path, and I'm thinking that as soon as one is convinced that the goal is reached, there may begin a slow decline in standard. A really good craftsman, whose work reaches a high standard, is always seeking to better the last. Having said that, I will admit that I don't expend a lot of energy on "perfection", preferring to look for what is right for what I am doing and concentrating on "doing the best I can". Once I reach the point where the work seems done, I don't try to do more. The next project starts the process over again. I am watching my betters, but still "doing the best I can", always learning. More fun and less neurotic that way.

This is an interesting thread.

Carol Pratt
----