Re: [BKARTS] craft standards, poor books

I think the process is the art for the artist, but not necessarily for the people who will view the art at another point in time. This is partly because the work is displayed to show the finished piece, and the viewer doesn't get the benefit of seeing all of the pieces that lead to the whole. It is also because not everyone would (could?/cares to?) get the experience, and it may be meaningful ultimately only to the artist. Thus, perhaps, the feeling of let down, and "oh, I am done" when a piece is finished. The drama being resolved (to whatever degree) and the enthrallment quenched, it can only be (a little or more ) depressing. And this perhaps is part of the drive to keep going.

As Richard states, shows frequently show the process with the finished piece -- Lucien Freud at the Modern in NY is a wonderful example with copperplates on display and various states of a work displayed.

The "draft" is sometimes the thing-- the art, the magic, the best, the finished piece, whatever. Sometimes something dashed off is said in just the right way and is done. It's knowing that that is the thing in its purest/best/most realized form that is the thing. I think this is why sketches by a Rembrandt, a Matisse, and so on, can be marveled at for the completeness of the information (line, tone, form, decryption, beauty, power, etc.) they convey. That's not to say every sketch is a masterpiece, but rather acknowledging a sketch could be.

Jennifer