Re: [BKARTS] craft standards, poor books

I attended a lecture by Theodore Wolff, biographer/friend of Morris Graves.
He mentioned some paintings that Graves had tossed aside dismissively and
asked about them. "Oh, those are just brain farts," Graves told him.

All artists have them...but they can be revealing, too. (And often an
artist - of any kind - "self edits" what someone else instantly relates to.
Possibly because the "fart" doesn't express what the artist intended, but it
might reveal something else altogether that he/she doesn't recognize.)

I always find sketches by masterful artists (Rembrandt, etc.) revealing -
not only do the visible restatements of lines indicate that even they didn't
get it right the first time, but the gesture of these quick sketches have a
vitality that the finished work often lacks.

I do feel concerned that writers these days use computers, and there is far
less record of their process. Not everyone is a Steinbeck or Stafford, of
course, but looking at their draft manuscripts and hand-written corrections
and revisions is a great study in process, both for the finished work and
for the inner workings of the author's creative process. We are losing that
treasure mine as revisions and alterations wipe out old versions
electronically. Not to mention the loss of written correspondence.

Lee

Lee Kirk

The Prints & The Paper
PO Box 5432