[BKARTS] Art, Craft & Rustic Books

Regarding the idea of rustic books, art & craft, two words come to mind:

authenticity
wabi-sabi

I like this discussion topic, as sometimes I find that book arts can over-emphasize form over content... If art feels authentic, true, real, right, etc., then the form is effectively serving the work's purpose. Sometimes realized art is created via imperfection of execution. Other times, a lack of refinement in execution takes away from the work's highest purpose. I can fall as easily in love with a perfectly formed book as with an funky raw but genuinely made book. (Life parallels art, yes?) It really all depends on the reason for the book.

There's a lovely book called "Wabi-Sabi" that addresses the Japanese concept of raw earthy authenticity in art and craft, the sublime of funk, etc. Anyone else know more about this?

I look forward to hearing more about this pursuit of the rustic.

Andie Thrams