Re: [BKARTS] craft standards, poor books

Anyway, given these contrary
> styles, the question was whether something artless,
> unsophisticated, rude, rough, irregular, shaggy could be
> dismissed as bad craftsmanship and to what extent this was
> implicated in the complaints about
>  poorly made books.

For an expression of this, see work by Rosamund Purcell (photographer and
collage artist) - in particular the devastated books she photographed that
appear in the book, "Book Worm." Why are ruined books so aesthetically
appealing and full of - well, charm? It's a puzzle, and yet some of us find
these images extraordinarily moving and appealing. Many of her other
subjects also flaunt the common sense of aesthetics. There is probably a
Japanese term for this expression of impermanence, decay, the ephemeral
quality of things because it is a natural process. You certainly find this
expressed in many haiku.

Someone mentioned the work of James Castle, which is also worth looking at
in this context. His materials were the crudest but what is most appealing,
I think, is the utter lack of overt attempt at "artfulness" - his work
appears to be pure raw expression without artifice. (Whether it actually
was, or not.)

Lee

Lee Kirk

The Prints & The Paper