From: Book_Arts-L [mailto:BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of barbara
kretzmann
Sent: Thursday, January 03, 2008 5:33 PM
To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: craft standards, poor books

This interesting thread reminded me of an old query of mine.  There
is a term in bookbinding known as "alla rustica."  When I was still
quite new to bookbinding, I had a client who asked me to bind a book
"alla rustica."  I had no idea what that meant, so I asked Don
Etherington, not finding it in Bookbinding and the Conservation of
Books.  Don wrote back that he had been unable to find any
information on the term.  I much later asked Bernard Middleton who
said it was a book bound in paper covers, in a simple style with no
headbands, with rough cut edges.  In 1991, I found the term in
Michele Valerie Cloonan's Early Bindings in Paper  to wit on page 57:

	"binding alla rustica.  This term was used in both the
eighteenth and nineteenth centuries to describe Italian paper-covered
books made from heavy cover paper. 'The Italians do still continute
to bind in a coarse thick paper, called binding alla rustica, in a
clownish manner' (Postlethwayt, I, 1751).
	'In . . . binding alla rustica, a coarse thick paper is
employed, which very soon wears out, unless it is used with the
greatest care' (Horne, I (1814): 296)."

Cloonan has more on p. 26.

Barbara E. Kretzmann
The Cutleaf Bindery