[BKARTS] craft standards and poor books

Hi Charles and everyone,

It's great that people on the list have brought up wabi-sabi, which is more why I went to ideas of natural and organic etc. (yes, i too lament the politicisation of these words, which were once words I thought that were quite useful.) As has been said, Wabi Sabi is very difficult to describe in English, and I claim to be no expert. However, colleague of mine is from Wabi Sabi country and is making work which I think you will find interesting. Her name is Sachiko Kotaka and she is primarily a felt artist. Her craft standard is impeccable and highly sort after, but is of what Charles first asked about.

She has been using different processes to create textures and colours, particularly in her felt works, which are directly 'drawn' from the landscape she is working with. She has used different dying strategies, like using the red earth of the area she lives in, using rusted metals as a source for dyes. One of her aims is to show the decay, falling away, erosion of the quite harsh Austrlian landscape she lives and works in, by involving some of the 'harsh processes' the land itself is subjected to. She also makes great use of recycled or second hand fabrics and materials that have worn with age to try to voice wabi sabi.

www.sachikokotaka.com

My point is though, that the workmanship has not been dismissed - her work is still of the extremely high standard she is known for, yet she is able to make these complex works that seem at once very fragile, worn and (for want of a better word) 'rustic'.

I hope you enjoy her work and it is a help in some way.

Andrew.