Re: [BKARTS] Wheat Paste

Paste allows the leather to be manipulated in a way that isn't possible with PVA. With proper paring pasted corners become nearly invisible, and the leather moulds to the boards. Endcaps are easy to shape, and the leather stays where you've put it, while it was wet.

Signa's description of the process is very good, but it does take practice to do it well. Like most skills, it isn't quite as easy as it sounds or looks, but it's the best way to adhere leather. I wouldn't do it any other way.

Leather tanned for purposes other than bookbinding may not work with paste, which is why most of us don't use the odd stuff.

Carol Pratt
Eugene, OR
======