[BKARTS] SoCal APHA at the Movies

The Southern California Chapter of the American Printing History Association invites you to our next event,
APHA at the Movies: HELVETICA
on Saturday, January 26, 2008 at 2:15 p.m.

We had such a lively discussion last year about typefaces, including Helvetica, at our APHA Salon, Types We Love, Types We Hate. We will be showing the Gary Hustwit documentary film HELVETICA in the screening room of The CenterPointe Club at Playa Vista. A description of the film is below. Afterwards, we will have another lively discussion about Helvetica and other sans serif typefaces. Design features and appropriate usage among other issues will be explored. Discussion between all participants is encouraged. You might even bring examples of the usage of san serif typefaces that you admire (or hate).

Helvetica is a feature-length independent film about typography, graphic design and global visual culture. It looks at the proliferation of one typeface (which is celebrating its 50th birthday this year) as part of a larger conversation about the way type affects our lives. Those interviewed in Helvetica include some of the most illustrious and innovative names in the design world: Mathew Carter, Wim Crouwel, Herman Zapf, Stefan Sagmeister, Paula Scher, Leslie Savan, David Carson, etc., etc.

The CenterPointe Club is located at 6200 Playa Vista Drive, Playa Vista, CA 90094.

Directions: From the 405 Freeway, go west on the Jefferson offramp about two miles until Playa Vista Drive (just after Home Depot). Turn south (left) and go to the second block to The CenterPointe Club (on your left). Turn into the circle drive and you will be allowed to park underground. Come up to the desk in the lobby and they will point you to the screening room around the corner.
Other directions: From the corner of Jefferson and Lincoln, go east on Jefferson one block and turn right onto Playa Vista Drive and follow the directions above.

Note that the club is two blocks south of Kitty Maryatt’s studio (across Jefferson). For further information, please call Kitty at 310 439-2135 or her cell phone at 818 416-6510.

Reservations are required as seating is limited to 25. Please email Richenda Brim at rbrim@xxxxxxxxx to make your reservations by January 23, 2008.