[BKARTS] stains and tears

 I'm seeking some simple techniques that are safe for removing stains from 19th century paper documents. The ink does not run. Some are letterpress; there are some engravings. I'm wondering when to use the sun to bleach stained papers. Is it best to float the paper in a tray of water? I've had some luck with the dry erasure pads.

What about cleaning old snapshots? After enjoying the show at the National Gallery I'm looking the snapshots I own in a new way. What about flattening them? Would wetting them help? Or is the weight of a book enough. Then there are the small tears from handling snapshots. Japanese tissue on the back won't work, will it?

Thanks for your advice.

--
Linda M. Wilson
house: 140 Front St.,Oak Bluffs, MA 02557