Re: [BKARTS] Stains & Tears - Washing/Bleaching

Linda,

I have washed quite a bit of paper and this weakens or removes any stains
- depending on what the cause was likely to have been.  You have made the
sensible test to check for ink runs, so that is OK.   I normally wet the
paper in a 50/50 mixture of iso-propyl alcohol and water to ensure the
leaf is penetrated by the water - this only takes a few seconds.   I may
leave the paper in for a few minutes if it is stained to try and remove
the more soluble products (This alcohol solution can be saved for the
next job as the real washing comes next).  The paper is then transferred
to the plain water, or more usually into deacidifying solution made from
calcium hydroxide powder dissolved in tap water (only dissolves slightly,
a teaspoonful in a few pints still leaves some on the bottom of the
flask).   I use reagent quality chemicals.  The deacidifying solution is
normally diluted 50/50 with tap water once more.  The liquid can be tepid
to help the process, the warmer it is the more likely is the removal of
any sizing.

The leaves can be removed after a while and allowed to dry on clean paper
then pressed between blotting paper when almost dry over night.  If
necessary the leaves can be re-sized.

I submerge the leaves in a flat plastic tray with separators of plastic
netting or other inert material.

Using the sun for bleaching I have not tried, but it is how the paper
used to bleached I believe.    Again using calcium hypochlorite
(chloramine-T is not recommended) for bleaching and weak acetic acid for
its removal I have bleached paper, but this requires plenty of room and a
set of trays, etc.  This process is somewhat more complex than the simple
washing.

The references that I use are the papers by Dr Margaret Hey, "The Washing
& Aqueous De-acidification of Paper" p.66, 1979 and "Paper Bleaching:Its
Simple Chemistry & Working Procedures" p.10, 1977; both in the journal
'The Paper Conservator'.  There may be other later papers or research,
I'm not sure.

I think you will find some notes/leaflets on the internet for the
protection and storing of photographs from various conservation
institutes, but wetting them is likely to be unwise.

Hope that helps.

Rodney Fry
Crowthorne
England

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent with PegasusMail 4.41, BT Broadband System
W98 4.10.2222A 2nd Edn on ABIT KR7A-RAID,
AVG Free 7.5.446,  Mozilla Firefox browser ver 2.0.0.11
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx