[BKARTS] creating embossed bookcloth

Has anyone successfully created an embossed bookcloth that mimics Victorian
cloth? I have a few books to reback that originally were embossed with
designs, and I want to see if I can imitate the pattern so it blends into
the boards better.

I assume they used some sort of large brass die to make these impressions,
but how to do that today, I am not sure, though I have many single handed
brass tools at my disposal. Was it done with the cloth dry, damp, etc? I
know that whatever they used, it also went into the boards, as the design is
firmly pressed into the bookboards themselves beneath the cloth.

Thank you,

Beth Stegenga
Paternoster Row Books