[BKARTS] Watermarks rare prints

Hi David,

I am going to assume that you do not want the watermark obscuring the rare print, since you would want a buyer to be able to assess the print online.

I personally prefer Digital Watermarking. Digital Watermaring technology creates and detects invisible “markings”, which can be used to trace the origin, authenticity and usage of digital data; basically using the noise in the image to insert the protection information as noise within the noise of the original image. There are the museum solution software usually pricey.

Else, one can use the most well known Digimarc also available as a plugin for Photoshop up to CS2, been around since the early 1990s and is constantly improved and updated: http://www.digimarc.com/mypicturemarc/default.asp, solutions start at $99. This is for an invisible and trackable watermark.

A visible watermark can be created in photoshop, but unless you put smack in the center of the photograph, it is not a deterrent. Some unscrupulous person can crop it out.

The EXIF data in your digital camera is also a great solution. Most newer digital camera have a metadata field that cannot be removed from the information embedded in the digital file. This is my preferred solution when taking new photos.

For more information, at this page you can find more information on invisible and visible watermarks: http://www.panoguide.com/howto/display/watermarking.jsp

I hope this helps.
Monique

We ourselves would want watermarks or similar devices to show on rare prints when putting them up on eBay. Joyce may have other reasons, but this is our purpose.