[BKARTS] equiping a bindery

Happy Friday all,

I have recently found myself in the lucky position of having to purchase
bindery equipment to begin to create a more substantial conservation
department in our Rare Books and Special Collections Department.  Our
library director recently informed me that we have the funding, so I am
to go ahead and buy what I think we should have to start building a
proper lab. I must do this quickly as the money will not be available
next fiscal year.

For some background, Gettysburg College's Special Collections houses
about 11,000 rare books, hundreds of manuscript collections, over 500
rare maps and atlases from the 16th and 19th centuries, misc. ephemera,
hundreds of artifacts and of course, is the official repository for all
college records. There are three FT staff members, but I am the only one
doing any kind of conservation work, and the only one that will be doing
so.  Currently I limit myself to paper conservation/repair, rebacking of
cloth books and repair of leather joints. I have taken courses in
leather and cloth binding (and will continue to do so), but am in no
position to pursue this further (esp. leather) at the present time
because 1. lack of experience, 2. time and  3. our greater needs are for
paper and cloth repair.

So, keeping our situation in mind, my question is - what pieces of
equipment would be the next logical ones to add to what we already have?
Currently, we have a nipping press, finishing press and a sewing frame -
pretty basic stuff.  I am thinking that the next two items in line would
be a book press and a kutrimmer or board shears, although we presently
do not have the space for the board shears. What else would you suggest
in addition to these items?

It is a little overwhelming (and totally unexpected) to be handed a
great sum of money to spend so any and all suggestions would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks very much,

Chris

Christine Ameduri, Assistant Archivist