Re: [BKARTS] equiping a bindery

I found myself in a similar position a couple of years ago.  Our SC
department sounds like it is roughly the size and scope of yours.  The
university celebrated its centennial a couple of years ago and we were
promised a fairly large sum to purchase a large stock of archival supplies
(boxes, folders, paper, etc.) as well as necessary archival/binding
equipment.  In the end, of course, 70% of that money was given to someone
else, but that is another story.

As far as equipment goes, we purchased a Kutrimmer 1080 (the smaller of the
floor models), a Kingsley foil stamper, and a Hollinger crimper.  I am happy
with the Kutrimmer 1080--it cuts Davey board and Hollinger board very well,
and it only occupies about a 3'x3' space.  We bought a Kingsley stamper
because they were much cheaper than a Kensol or Kwikprint, but I regret that
we didn't go ahead and pay more.

We found the crimper used at http://www.binderytools.com/ and have been
happy with it.  It takes up a lot of space (about 3'x5'), but makes phase
box construction a snap.  Its only drawback is that it has to occupy a space
that is completely out of the way of foot traffic.  It has a foot-pedal
sticking out about 18" that will leave you crippled for days if you aren't
watching where you're going.

Our bindery already had a large guillotine stack cutter, a drill press, a
nipping press, and a backing press.  If I had an encapsulator and a large
book press (the money mysteriously vanished before we could purchase), then
we would be pretty satisfied.  We would also be even more cramped than we
are. :-)

Chad Longley
Preservation Coordinator
Abilene Christian University