Re: [BKARTS] query watermarks

I'm pretty much of a lurker as I don't make the kinds of books that most of you do. In fact, I'm in awe of your skills as what I do is alter second hand kids books and can't do the binding, etc. that you do!

But I have a question and please, it's not that I'm trying to be rude or anything like that. I'm just really curious. I understand the issues around copyright (well somewhat as it seems to be changing all the time) and plagiarism (also somewhat as that's being redefined in tighter and tighter terms) but what are other kinds of issues? I see that a lot of images on the Internet are altered in some way to prevent people from using them but using them for what? I can understand altering images if you think somebody else will make money off of your work but most of us (I'm a completely unknown artist, for instance), can't give our work away, much less sell it. Are there a lot of people illegally making money off images or wholesale appropriation of images for some illegal or nefarious purpose? I know that there are some places which copy artworks onto canvas and sell them but if I understand it correctly, most of what they make money from are reproductions of paintings that are famous and most of those artists are dead. The other huge amount of images that I see for sale are t-shirts, posters, coffee cups, etc. of cute cats and dogs.

I've downloaded images of old photographs from various sites and used them in my altered books so should I assume that what I'm doing is illegal? By the way, I've never sold one of my altered books so I certainly am not making money from using xeroxes or prints of old material. I also do collages from material that I find all over the place - xeroxes from old magazines, downloaded images from historical websites and similar places. Is what I am doing illegal and offensive to somebody?

Anyway, I'm just curious as to what problems people see with the use of images and why, if there is a fear about unauthorized usage, why put them on the Internet?

I am asking this out of genuine curiosity and not from any desire to be rude or inappropriate. But this issue has puzzled me and I'd love to hear your input as it relates to the problem of watermarking photographs for display on the web.

sf nancy