Re: [BKARTS] query watermarks

Nancy Ewart wrote:

> Are there a lot of people illegally making money off images or
> wholesale appropriation of images for some illegal or nefarious purpose?

I don't know about the numbers, but I do know that it is not uncommon
for some unscrupulous newspapers and other print publications to rip
images from the web, sometimes even from commercial stock sites, and
conveniently forget to pay the use fees. I recently signed with Alamy
for my photographs, and was informed that they are stepping up vigilance
of unauthorized usage. They are also adding watermarks because of this.

> Anyway, I'm just curious as to what problems people see with the use
> of images and why, if there is a fear about unauthorized usage, why
> put them on the Internet?

Mainly to promote myself. I put low resolution images up as
illustrations for my stories and in my online portfolio
<http://www.cafecancun.com/portfolio>. I rarely see
unauthorized web usage. I'm satisfied with a credit and link back. I'm
planning to start signing my public pictures with a signature and URL.

--
JULES SIEGEL Apdo. 1764 Cancun Q. Roo 77500 Mexico
http://www.madlaughter.com