Re: [BKARTS] query watermarks

In my case, I collect images of a certain woman who was once famous and now obscure.
It takes time, effort and money to create such an archive - i would like to share the images and hence get this person her tiny corner of the internet.
however hi-res images can be lifted and used in publications or another website.
i DID have to shell out money for the images and have spent quite a bit of time restoring them with photoshop.
so basically buying these pictures, and then setting them free on the internet is kinda stupid.
i want to share them but i don't want to devaluate my collection.
if someone truly wanted to use the image in a book or a publication, they could just ask and as long as i was credited I have no problem

I read several plagiarism and consumer watchdog blogs and recently even the big news outlets
have been sifting their images off the internet and not giving proper accreditation.
It's actually kinda scandalous.

j. godsey
sicpress.com
14 pleasant st
methuen, ma 01844
(978) 965-2176 fax 866-416-6101

www.sicpress.com  - Book repair and cleaning supplies
Unbound: Book Repair for Booksellers
Book Deodorizer - the guaranteed solution

www.bibliophilebullpen.com

Jules Siegel wrote:
Nancy Ewart wrote:

Are there a lot of people illegally making money off images or
wholesale appropriation of images for some illegal or nefarious purpose?

I don't know about the numbers, but I do know that it is not uncommon for some unscrupulous newspapers and other print publications to rip images from the web, sometimes even from commercial stock sites, and conveniently forget to pay the use fees. I recently signed with Alamy for my photographs, and was informed that they are stepping up vigilance of unauthorized usage. They are also adding watermarks because of this.

Anyway, I'm just curious as to what problems people see with the use
of images and why, if there is a fear about unauthorized usage, why
put them on the Internet?

Mainly to promote myself. I put low resolution images up as illustrations for my stories and in my online portfolio <http://www.cafecancun.com/portfolio>. I rarely see unauthorized web usage. I'm satisfied with a credit and link back. I'm planning to start signing my public pictures with a signature and URL.