Re: [BKARTS] query watermarks

Thanks so much to everybody that replied. I had no idea of all the things that people could get up to with the illegal use of images (goes off gleefully to plan new career as criminal mastermind of the Internet).

Seriously, I had no idea.

As a dealer in books/prints/maps/photographs I can say that there is a whole
cadre of sneaky evil folk on ebay, amazon, etc. who will steal your images,
say, of book covers and use them as their own (even linking to yours) to
avoid the costs of photography/scanning, hosting images, etc. Then there are
those who will reproduce photos (I sell historical images) or prints and
sell them on ebay as "originals." I have even had people call and ask me to
scan something....then ask me to put it "on the Internet" and send them a
link - protest when I offer to send an image via email - and finally admit
that yes, they want it hosted so that they can link to it.

I am very much looking forward to seeing this and hope that problems with protecting images don't prevent it from happening:

In Joyce's case, she is making an archive of an obscure person who
none-the-less had an important role in American culture. (To me, this is the
essence of a true "collection" - not done before, filling a gap, of
historical importance.)

Nancy