Re: [BKARTS] Edge Tinting

When I was a (real as in medieval type) apprentice, After trimming our books we would stack them so that all the fore-edges were flush, and put a board on top. Then, putting one hand on the board near the top-edge for maximum pressure we would wipe dye on with a sponge parallel to the length of the edge (from spine to fore-edge. In our case the dyes were aniline (leather dye) but we also used acrylics and tempera. Experiment wiping on paper or mat board first. You should be able to get good coverage with no streaking. The darker the color the easier to hide streaking. If the color drips/runs, gets soaked unduly into the textblock, or the edges get really cockled, you're using way to much. You can also do this in a press for more pressure, but make sure that the pressure is either weighted to the top edge. Color should be liquid. If using acrylics, airbrush consistency is good.

Practice, practice, practice.

p.

Peter D. Verheyen
Bookbinder & Conservator, PA - AIC