[BKARTS] Cleaning type

I have bought some printing type on ebay, but it was wrapped in masking tape, which is hard to get off. I don;t know how long the tape must have bound the type. Besides the type is dirty.

Does anyone know if I can clean it with rubbing alcohol? Or is there a better cleaning liquid than alcohol?

Thanks,
John Johnson
Associate Professor Emeritus
Indiana University