Re: [BKARTS] Cleaning type

If it's old metal type, and not plastic or anything like that, the best solvent is mineral spirits or even kerosene. That'll get gummy stuff off of almost anything. I learned that from trying to get some strange white goo off of the dashboard of my son's old RX7. What I usually do is ramp up in the following order: soap and warm water; alcohol; acetone; mineral spirits; kerosene. I've heard napthol works for some things too but have never tried it, having succeeded with one of the former. Needless to say, in all but the first, work in an open well-ventilated space, preferably outdoors and very much away from any flames, even those of a boiler, stove or hot water heater. The vapors will ignite. : /

KMG