[BKARTS] cleaning mold

i got this in my inbox this morning and before i answer
I figure i should toss it out to the troops and see if i forgot anything.

thanks

My wife and I inherited a wonderful collection of classic leather bound books from her father. The are an incredible collection of classics like Moby dick and Last of the Mohicans books I love now more than when I read them years ago. They were stored in cardboard boxes in my mother in laws basement for many years. Unfortunately, at one point in time the basement flooded and although the books did not suffer direct water damage, the increased levels of humidity allowed mold to begin growing on the surface of the leather bindings. The books themselves, aside form small amount of mold, are in most excellent condition. I have surface wiped most of the mold away and what appears to remain may just be imbedded mold or staining from either the mold or its byproducts. In either case I am a bit wary of using and cleaners harsh enough to fully destroy the mold (like diluted bleach, lysol, or alcohol) for fear of further damaging either the leather or the gold guilding. I would like to kill all the mold, if possible, before I use one of your leather cleaning/preserving products. Please let me know what you think. Thank you very much.

--
j. godsey
www.sicpress.com  - Book repair and cleaning supplies