Re: [BKARTS] Cleaning type

If all else fails, try isopropyl alcohol or rubbing alcohol. I used it to "fumigate" old making tape (on paper) in a solvent chamber for several hours. The carrier would soften and could be lifted off. The residue was easy to gently scrape off with a dental tool or spatula. For type (metal or plastic) the residue could be washed off with another solvent, as well. Sometimes the carrier would lift off and bring the adhesive with it.

My "solvent chambers" are plastic boxes with plaster of paris in the bottom, but a cotton ball soaked in alcohol would work, too. The alcohol is infused into the plaster and the box is inverted over the item to be treated, and a weight is placed on top. I would refresh the alcohol every hour or two, until the tape had softened.

Others have tried other solvents for masking tape, but I have had the best results from isopropyl.

Carol Pratt
Co. Kerry, Ireland

=====