Re: [BKARTS] cleaning mold

How about 'Tilex'? I have no idea if it would work on leather, but, works great on mold (shower curtains, tile, etc.)

John

----- Original Message ----- From: "Carol Pratt" <jcpratt@xxxxxxx>
To: <BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, January 26, 2008 2:16 PM
Subject: Re: [BKARTS] cleaning mold

I have used isopropyl alcohol or (on some surfaces) plain rubbing alcohol to kill molds. An engineer who worked for an agency recovery in Florida recommended it in an AIC workshop some years ago. He said that the water in rubbing alcohol would swell the mold spores and the isopropyl alcohol could then enter and destroy the spores. I don't remember that any controlled testing had been done on this, but the company routinely had to test for spore concentrations after cleanup.

However, in my studio I kept plain Isopropyl for the purpose, and it will do minimal damage to the leather. Rubbing alcohol, which contains 30% water, would not be advised for old leather. Isopropyl doesn't seem to damage gilding or tooling, and it's a solvent for Klucel, after all, which is applied as consolidant to leather.

I don't think chlorine bleach will kill all molds. More likely to seriously damage whatever it's applied to. Don't like the idea of lysol, either.

Carol Pratt
Co. Kerry, Ireland

-------