Re: [BKARTS] speaking of mold

Lavinia,
It sounds like mildew to me. Is there a smell involved as well?
Dave

840 Snowdrop Ave. Victoria BC V8Z 2N4
(250)888-9380    http://www.Bookbinder.ca

Lavinia Adler wrote:
On an old book (1901) with a black leather spine, what's the diagnosis if
black comes off on your hands when touching it? Is it mold or might it be
deteriorating leather dye? I've wiped the spine with a soft cloth. The
first swipe shows pitch black, the next few lighter and lighter 'til it's
just a pale gray.

Lavinia