[BKARTS] British Library Adopt A Book

I was not aware of this program and thought it might be of interest to those
on the list.  For more info go to http://adoptabook.bl.uk/

Can You Help Promote Adopt a Book?

Since its launch in 1987 the Adopt a Book appeal has raised hundreds of
thousands of pounds to support the Library's conservation work, and along
the way a number of unusual approaches have been taken to raising awareness.

These have ranged from the original public launch, endorsed by leading
celebrities of the time such as Sue Pollard, Lord Archer and Roland Rat, to
visits to schools by representatives accompanied by a baby elephant! This
year we would like to call on readers of Development News to give an extra
boost to the appeal, by helping raise awareness among the wider public (both
nationally and internationally), especially in the run up to Christmas. Some
ideas for how you could help include:

* Referring to the appeal in a newsletter you edit or contribute to

* Adding a posting to your company intranet

* Plugging the appeal in your blog or in online forums

* Simply telling your friends and family

* And, of course, adopting a book yourself!

If you have any other ideas for promoting Adopt a Book we'd be delighted to
hear them.

A Novel Wedding List

Congratulations to Tamsyn Steel and Mike Rose, who married on 16 September.
The happy couple very kindly asked their guests to make donations to Adopt a
Book in lieu of wedding gifts, raising an impressive £900 and enabling them
to adopt a book about philosophy - the subject they both studied and through
which they met. If you have a special occasion coming up and would like to
set up a special Adopt a Book fund, please contact Lucy Abbott on +44 (0)20
7412 7034 or email adoptabook@xxxxx

In Memory

As a number of supporters have found, Adopt a Book presents a personal and
touching way to create a lasting tribute to a loved one. We can also set up
a special fund if you would like to request donations to the appeal in lieu
of flowers for the funeral. We can help identify a title that presents a
particularly good match to the individual's interests, and a personalised
dedication can be added to a bookplate as a permanent testimonial.