Re: [BKARTS] Beijing China

The latest issue of Metalsmith has an article about China in which it lists "798 - chee jyo bah", (this is the name of the area, I think) a complex of warehouses converted to contemporary galleries and art centers in Beijing. You might inquire about this center. They would have English speaking art students I am sure who might be able to guide you. Vegetarian food is not hard at all to find, but I personally would eat only cooked and fruits with outer shells you peel. You will find their soups delicious but I had a hard time trying to get salt! So take a little shaker! As far as avoiding tourist gift markets, etc., some of those tourist traps give you great insight on some of the oldest production  techniques in the world. You don't have to buy! Plus take dollar bills. Those are easy to hand out for favors or small items!  Jackie Richards, Tucson Az.