Re: [BKARTS] Slide scanner

We use a Microtek i900 (http://www.microtekusa.com/smi900.html) in our
department to scan slides.  The distinct difference between the Microtek
scanners and the Epson is that the transparency (slides, 35mm film, 4x6,
etc.) holders slide into the scanner under the glass.  This eliminates the
concern about filmy or scratched glass, and it also eliminates the
distortions that can occur when scanning a transparency through glass at
very high resolution (3200 dpi).  The drawback is that it takes about 20
minutes to scan each tray of 15 slides at that resolution.  Otherwise, it is
an average or better legal size flatbed scanner.

Chad Longley
Preservation Coordinator
Abilene Christian University
ACU Box 29208