[BKARTS] Slide Scanner - Reviews

Betty,

I have just been looking at this topic for archiving hundreds of my old family
slides and for a friend who has over a thousand slides.

Flat bed scanners with attachments or back lights in some cases are a
simple, quicker and low cost solution accepting the lower quality in
comparison with higher cost dedicated slide/film-only scanners having a
very high resolution capability (although they can be set to scan at a lower
resolution, reducing the scan time), but producing large files sizes and
taking a few minutes per negative/slide depending on the settings. If the
images are film strips and slides then the flat-bed scanner must be one
which transmits the light through the image, or has a facility to do this.

  I have found a detailed review of many of the dedicated scanners at
http://www.filmscanner.info/en/FilmscannerTestberichte.html
"Test reports film scanner - Overview, list".   This site reviews the various
Epson, Nikon, Minolta, Perfecta, Microtek, etc., dedicated scanners.

This site:
http://www.digitalcopycat.com/scan-slides-photos-negatives.html
indicates that greater than 3000 dpi is of little use for 35mm images.

I have not decided which one suits our purpose, but perhaps the site will
give some you help and advice suitable for your purpose.    The dedicated
scanners are quite expensive - a range of some hundreds of pounds,
particularly if they have a magazine attachment to scan 50 or 100 slides
automatically.   However Ebay is showing in the UK quite a number of
dedicated scanners at somewhat reduced prices, although still high.

There are many other points to consider, but this List is perhaps not the
place for camera and slide descriptions.

Rodney Fry
Crowthorne
Gt Britain

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent with PegasusMail 4.41, BT Broadband System
W98 4.10.2222A 2nd Edn on ABIT KR7A-RAID,
AVG Free 7.5.446,  Mozilla Firefox browser ver 2.0.0.11
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx