Re: [BKARTS] attaching muslin to vellum pages

Bill, Aaron & others who have replied,

First off, thank you very much for the head scratching and suggestions.

I'm pretty sure that any sort of full coverage adhesion would cockle the vellum over time with the different materials and humidity (I'm in Michigan as is the end customer). At this point I'm inclined to try mounting via hinges around the perimeter of the paintings as one would mount a heavy piece of paper for framing. This was suggested to me by Charles at L.A. Book Arts. I'd use a long fibered Japanese paper for the hinge and apply it with a PVA mix to the muslin then the BEVA or similar product to attach to the vellum. Obviously if BEVA were used the hinges would have to be applied first because of the ironing procedure. Charles suggested a hide glue I can make from the scrap vellum might be the answer as well.

I talked to the artist and he used oil paint, just looks like acrylic, but he did use acrylic gesso to prime the muslin. Do I still need to consider interleaving to reduce the possibilities of adhesion to the vellum? I know in an ideal world such a thing would be but I'm guessing these books will get very little handling.

I've got plenty of edge scrap from the vellum so I'm going to try a few things and will definitely try the BEVA especially if I can get a sample.

I'm still open to ideas, I'm not fully convinced that paper hinges are the ultimate.

Chad

Chad Pastotnik
Deep Wood Press   231.587.0506
http://www.deepwoodpress.com