Re: [BKARTS] attaching muslin to vellum pages-AD

Aaron, et.al.

I've used gelatin to attach gold beater's skin to parchment/vellum
folios when guarding the folds of medieval mss. and this is shown
in two videotapes I've produced through Istor Productions, available
through my website:

http://www.teleport.com/~tcl

_Manufacture of Goldbeater's Skin_ and _Elements of Book Conservation:
Manuscript Books_

Moisture, carefully controlled, is not a major problem.

Jack

>Bill,
>
>I am going to out on a limb here, and say that using PVA has a much greater
>chance of adverse affects than BEVA.  The introduction of water (such as
>with a water based adhesive such as any PVA) will cause great amounts of
>change to the parchment, ranging from expansion and contraction, to causing
>permanent translucency in the material.

(snip)

>Regards,
>Aaron Salik